1. Without beginning or end of existence; always existing.
"The eternal God is thy refuge." -- Deut. xxxiii. 27.
"To know wether there were any real being, whose duration has been eternal." -- Locke.
2. Without end of existence or duration; everlasting; endless; immortal.
"That they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory." -- 2 Tim. ii. 10.
3. Continued without intermission; perpetual; ceaseless; constant.
"And fires eternal in thy temple shine." -- Dryden.
4. Existing at all times without change; immutable.
"Hobbes believed the eternal truths which he opposed." -- Dryden.
"What are the eternal objects of poetry among all nations, and at all times?" -- M. Arnold.
5. Exceedingly great or bad; -- used as a strong intensive. "Some eternal villain."
The Eternal City
an appellation of Rome.
Syn. -- Everlasting; endless; infinite; ceaseless; perpetual; interminable. See Everlasting.