- the act of furnishing an equivalent person or thing in the place of another "replacing the star will not be easy"
- a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
- an event in which one thing is substituted for another "the replacement of lost blood by a transfusion of donor blood"
- a person who follows next in order "he was President Lincoln''s successor"
- someone who takes the place of another person
- filling again by supplying what has been used up
1. The act of replacing.
2. (Crystallog.) The removal of an edge or an angle by one or more planes.